Banner
OTT VAN A SZEREN
GATTER FOGADÓ
EGY FŰRÉSZÜZEM ÚJ ÉLETE SZALAFŐN

History

Gatter means saw in Hungarian, the name shows the building has long been used as a saw manufactory. 
We gathered the pieces of the building’s history from the Szalafő inhabitants’ stories and recollections.
The beginnings go back as far as the early 20th century. 
Vilmos Tamaskó, living in Szalafő, traded with egg and poultry, frequently transporting goods to the neighboring Styria, Austria.
From the money he built the timberwork shed of the manufactory at the old oak tree in Szalafő between 1932 and 1934. The building was enlarged in the early 1940s with a brick wing where the carpenter shop was opened on 12 April 1942. 
We do not know much about the gatter (saw) machine operating in the manufacture. According to the inhabitants it was purchased in the 1930s as second-hand equipment. We have no information when the machine was produced exactly, but it is estimated in the 1870s or 1880s. The saw machine operated with steam, the whistle of the steam engine indicated the start and the end of the work day to the 15-20 employees who worked there in the 1940s.
In 1950 Vilmos Tamaskó, among other villagers, was relocated and the manufactory was forcefully nationalized.
Until 1959 no production was going on. In 1956 soldiers stayed in the building who demined the area. It was some time in this period that the saw machine was removed because at the 1959 opening of the manufactory already electric engines operated the saw. From that time on the Gatter-manufactory was community-owned (so-called TSZ in the previous regime), and the original owner was only allowed to return as an employee.
The manufacture operated from the early 1950s to 2003 first in the frame of the TSZ-structure, then under state supervision. 
In 2003 the building was sold, and this meant the end of an era as a saw manufacture.
Between 2003 and 2007 the basic preservation works were completed, and from 2007 to 2009 extensive renovation and reconstruction works were accomplished.
The saw-manufacture-turned-inn opened on 1 July 2009 to welcome the guests from all over the world!

9942 Szalafő, Templomszer 21.

A *-gal jelölt mezők kitöltése kötelező